Ferryville Ordinance Chapter 1
BOARD MEETINGS, GENERAL RULES, ORDINANCES
BOARD MEETINGS, GENERAL RULES, ORDINANCES
1.01 Meeting Time and Date
1.02 Order of Business
1.03 Presiding Officer
1.04 Ordinances and resolutions
1.05 General Rules
1.06 Suspension of rules
1.01 MEETING TIME AND DATE.
(1) Regular Meetings. Regular meetings of the Village Board shall be held on the third Wednesday of each
calendar month at 7:00 P. M.
(2) Special Meeting. Special meetings of the Board may be called by one Trustee by filing a written request with
the Clerk at least 24 hours prior to the time
specified for such meeting. The Clerk shall personally and immediately notify each Trustee of the time and
purpose of such meeting. The notice as required shall be delivered to each Trustee via e-mail, phone call or left
at the Trustee's usual place of abode. The Clerk shall cause an affidavit of service of such notice to be filed in
his/her office where prior to the time fixed for such special meeting. Special meetings may be held without notice
when all members of the Board are present, or consent in writing to the holding of said meeting. Unless all
Trustees are in attendance, no business shall be transacted at a special meeting except for the purpose stated in
the notice thereof. (Amended December 21, 2022)
(3) Place of Meetings. All meetings of the Board, including special and adjourned meetings, shall be held at the
Village Hall, 170 Pine Street, Ferryville, Wisconsin.
(a) All meetings shall be open to the public. The Board shall keep a record of all its proceedings and cause such
record to be published and/or posted in compliance with the provisions of Wis. Stats. 61.32.
(4) Quorum. Two Trustees together with the Village President shall constitute the Village Board; a majority of two
shall constitute a quorum. The Village Board shall have all powers and duties as provided in s. 61.34, Wis. Stats.
1.02 ORDER OF BUSINESS.
The business of the Village Board shall follow the agenda posted, at least 24 hours prior to the meeting, on the
"Official Posting Board". The agenda shall include, as a minimum:
(1) Call to order by presiding officer.
(2) Proof of public meeting lawful notice.
(3) Roll call. (If a quorum is not present, the meeting shall thereupon adjourn, which may be to a specified date.)
(4) Correction and approval of minutes of a previous meeting.
(5) Unfinished business from previous meeting.
(6) New business, including introduction of ordinances.
(7) Reports of Village officers.
1.03 PRESIDING OFFICER.
(1) Control of Meeting. The Village President shall preserve order and conduct the proceedings of the meeting. A
member may appeal from the decision of the presiding officer. Such appeal is not debatable and must be
sustained by a majority of the members present, exclusive of the presiding officer.
(2) Absence of President. If the President is absent at any meeting, the Clerk shall call the meeting to order and
preside until the Board selects a Trustee to preside for that meeting.
Ordinances submitted to the Board shall be read by title and author and referred to the next meeting of the
Village Board. No ordinance shall be considered unless presented in writing. Unless requested by a Trustee before
final vote is taken, no ordinance needs to read in full.
1.05 GENERAL RULES.
The deliberations of the Board shall be conducted in accordance with the parliamentary rules contained in
Robert's Rules of Order Revised, which is hereby incorporated in this section by reference. No person other than a
member shall address the Board except by majority vote of the members present. No ordinance, resolution or
other motion shall be discussed or acted upon unless it has been seconded. No motion shall be withdrawn or
amended without the consent of the person making the same and the person seconding it.
1.06 SUSPENSION OF RULES.
These rules or any part thereof may be temporarily suspended in connection with any matter under
consideration by a recorded vote of two-thirds of the members present.
Any ordinance or part thereof inconsistent herewith is hereby repealed.
This ordinance shall take effect from and after its passage and publication as required by law.