Village Board Meeting Minutes
Village of Ferryville
SPECIAL BOARD MEETING
Date: May 21, 2019
Present: President, Patrick Delaney (Excused), Trustees Steve Werner and Gloria
Clerk/Treasurer, Heather Caya
1. Call to Order: The meeting was called to order at 12:00 p.m. by Heather Caya.
Heather entertained a motion to appoint a trustee to stand in and chair the
meeting. Gloria made motion for Steve to act as chairperson, Steve seconded the
motion. Motion carried. Steve chaired the remainder of the meeting.
2. Certification of Open Meeting Law Requirements: Heather Caya, Village Clerk,
confirmed that lawful notice of the public meeting had been posted on the official
posting board on 05/19/2019 and in the 3 other designated locations in the Village
and posted on www.ferryville.com.
3. Approve Agenda: Steve moved that the agenda be accepted as presented. Gloria
seconded the motion. The motion carried.
4. Consider Closed Session: Steve moved to consider closed session per ss.
19.85(1) (c) "considering employment … over which the government body has
jurisdiction". Gloria provided the second, and the Clerk called the roll - Gloria aye,
Steve aye, Pat excused and the meeting was closed.
The Board returned to open session at 12:27pm. Larry Quamme joined the
5. Consider/Approve Village Fire Chief: Steve moved to appoint Alexander Novak as
Village Fire Chief for a three year term. On second by Gloria, the motion was
6. Consider/Approve - Eagle Ridge Roads Project Plans: The board reviewed the
various options presented at the last meeting. Steve motioned to approve hiring
Makepeace Engineering to conduct 6 borings, obtain laboratory results, and
present an analysis on the road base for a total cost of $4,500, subject to a second
quote being obtained in a few days. Gloria seconded the motion. Motion Carried.
7. Consider/Approve - Sewer Main Infiltration Projects: The board discussed the
need to isolate infiltration locations in the system. The board members indicated
that they had individually talked to the new public works employee and found that
he did not feel comfortable or have the knowledge needed to maintain the system.
Steve motioned to engage Alan Kirchner at the rate of $15 an hour up to 40 hours
to provide training for Dan on the sewer operations and collection system. Gloria
offered the second. During the discussion it was noted that Pat has been called
back to work and the board wanted to take advantage of Al's 11 years of
experience working with the village system. The motion carried.
8. Consider/Approve - Fire Department Roof Estimates: It was pointed out that a
person from another company felt the ceiling needed to be opened for inspection in
order to provide a complete quote. Steve motioned to have the Village President,
who oversees the Public Works Department, have Dan remove 3 sections of the
ceiling and remove the insulation to allow visual access to the internal structure. On
second by Gloria, the motion was approved. The board also suggested that Dan be
provided information and contact more contractors to request inspections and
9. Adjourn: On motion by Gloria, second by Steve the meeting adjourned at 1:12pm.